Bob Freer and his wife Barbara created the Everglades Outpost Wildlife Rescue in 1991. The Outpost is where they live, together with their animals.
A wildlife rescue, and an up-close way
to learn about the Everglades.
Rounding up alligators at the Everglades Outpost
Releasing a Hawk at the Everglades Outpost
Meet Bob Freer
The Wildlife Rescue is Bob’s home.
He and his wife Barbara live
with their rescued animals.
Each animal has
a rescue story!
Each story offers a different
view into the Everglades.
We take in hurt and injured wildlife, rehabilitate it, and release it back to the wild. Most of the animals at the Everglades Outpost have been confiscated from illegal, traumatic and abusive situations. We are different from a zoo in that we are a non-profit run by idealistic volunteers who love and want to help animals.
Our rehabilitation facility provides medical care and treatment to sick and injured animals. Whenever possible, the animal is released to its natural habitat. The animals that cannot be returned to the wild are placed in suitable homes, or remain here under our care.
We are a non-profit 501c(3) educational organization. We are all volunteers. We rely on friends like you to come here to experience the Everglades Outpost and help with tax-deductible donations, so we can take care of the animals, and continue to improve and expand our habitats for them.
– Check out our Groupon deal | Support the Outpost through Amazon. ++ Special offers: Experience a 3-day / 2-night stay at our newly renovated home on the property. This will include a 4 hour gator handling lesson, a 2 hour snake handling lesson, a swamp buggy tour , a private tour of the facility. ($2,200.00 for up to two people) ++ Spend one day with an exotic animal handler. Be a part of the Everglades Outpost team. Learn what it is like to work with the our animals. ($150.00 per person). ++ Interested? Please contact us.
- Rounding up Alligators at the Everglades Outpost - Every once in a while, we have the opportunity of moving some of our alligators to another facility with more space. But first we have to get a hold of them... (video)
- Releasing a Hawk at the Everglades Outpost - Watch this video of a hawk being released at the Everglades Outpost after being rehabilitated.
- Dealing with Hurricane Irma - Hurricane Irma caused a lot of damage. Thanks for your ongoing help! (video)
- July 2017 Update: Volunteering at the Everglades Outpost - General Manager and Animal Curator Martha Frassica-Rivera explains that volunteering at the Everglades Outpost is a mix of fun and work.
- April 2017 Update: Feeding Romeo, the Tiger - Everglades Outpost volunteers Janey and Karl talk about the ins and outs of feeding Romeo, the tiger, and what it takes to be an Everglades Outpost volunteer.
has a rescue story:
We’re less than an hour’s drive from Miami.
35601 SW 192 Ave
Homestead, FL 33034
Mon, Tue, Fri, Sat & Sun, 10 AM- 6 PM Wed & Thu by appointment only.
One-day membership: $12 (adults), $8 (children), 5 and under free.
Groups of more than 15 receive a free guided tour and wildlife show. Call ahead for appointment.
Family membership ($100): includes a one-time complimentary meet-and-greet tour (by appointment only), unlimited entrance to the park valid for a year (from date of purchase) for 2 adults and up to 4 children/grandchildren. Visitors who purchase the family membership have the option of purchasing up to 4 guest passes for an additional amount of $12.00 per guest pass.
Shows: Venomous Snakes, Alligator Feeding (call about show times)
Download an informational one-pager about the Outpost.
Our animals need your love,